The application form provides contact details for both the applicant and their school. It also has space for a personal statement in which the applicant can explain why they wish to attend EMS. If you have already achieved GCSE qualifications early, please include details in this section.
Sometimes students worry about what to put in their personal statement so here’s a bit of advice that may put you at ease:
1. Just be yourself. We’re not looking for a particular type of person, only for students who will enjoy studying at EMS.
2. Try not to worry too much. We don’t score your personal statement but it can be useful for us to refer to if we interview you. For example, you might become a bit tongue-tied and not think of anything to say, we can then use the information in your personal statement to prompt you and encourage further response.
3. Tell us what it is you like about the subjects you will be studying and why you want to study them.
4. Tell us why you think EMS is a good fit for you, after all, you can study our subjects at any number of other places.
5. Use your own words (not your parent’s or teacher’s) and don’t be afraid to show your personality (it makes life more interesting for us when we’re reading through a lot of statements).
6. You don’t need to be brilliant at writing – we’re not testing your English or ability to write convincingly; we just want to get to know you and what makes you tick.
7. If you have achieved something, don’t hesitate to tell us – nothing wrong with bragging in a personal statement. We won’t think you’re arrogant!